Beef & Lentil Stew
- Heat the oil in a heavy 6-7 quart stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to the pot and cook until brown on both sides about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove beef to a bowl and reserve.
- Add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and cumin to the pot. Sauté until the onions are translucent, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return the beef and any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the broth and tomatoes with their juice. Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the meat is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
- Add the lentils to the pot. Cover and continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in the red wine and parsley. Season the soup, to taste, with salt and pepper.