South Louisiana-Style White Beans & Rice
- Rinse and sort white beans.
- To a large heavy pot over medium heat, add oil.
- Add sliced sausage to pot, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper, celery, and garlic to pot, and sauté till soft and translucent.
- Add beans, water, cayenne, and bay leaf to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 1-2 hours, or until beans are tender. Add additional water as necessary.
- For a creamier consistency, mash some beans against the side of the pot.
- Add salt, pepper, and creole seasoning to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley and green onions, and serve with hot cooked rice.